What Is A Breast Lift?
A breast lift (mastopexy) is a surgical procedure intended to create a lifted and more youthful breast shape, with a restored nipple position relative to the chest.
To accomplish this goal, Dr. Bovill carefully removes excess and loosened skin from breasts which have aged over time, or have always been droopy or deflated post-pregnancy / breast feeding. The upper breast tissue is then reshaped and tightened. Dr. Bovill has a particular interest and experience in using the lower breast as an ‘auto-augmentation’.
A breast lift can provide patients with a breast shape that better complements their figure and restore self-confidence, potentially without the need for implants. It can also be used in improving symmetry and restoring a youthful look after removing aging or problematic breast implants.
1. Who Is a Candidate for Cosmetic Breast Lift?
- Individuals with breasts which have aged with time or weight loss, have always been droopy or deflated post-pregnancy / breast feeding.
- Patients who wish to remove their implants for any reason, have may sufficient native tissue to afford smaller but rejuvenated breasts.
- Patients considering this procedure should also be in good overall health and not smoking tobacco.
In British Columbia, breast reduction in symptomatic large breasts is an MSP-insured service, and therefore a GP referral is required. A reduction or beast lift performed purely for lifestyle and aesthetic preference may however be undertaken privately.
To find out if a breast lift is right for you, please schedule a private consultation with Dr. Bovill at her Vancouver clinic. She can answer any questions you may have and conduct a thorough examination to determine if this procedure can best address your concerns. In some cases, Dr. Bovill may recommend a breast augmentation with or without a breast lift instead.
2. What Happens During a Breast Lift?
Dr. Bovill utilizes both the anchor and circumvertical incision techniques for breast lift surgery. The anchor incision encircles the areola, travels vertically down the breast from the bottom of the areola to the breast crease, then follows along the inframammary fold. The resulting incision pattern resembles an anchor and is also sometimes referred to as an “inverted T” incision. The circumvertical or ‘lollipop’ approach avoids the under-breast scar but may reduce the dramatic shape change achievable. Dr. Bovill prefers the modern superomedial or superior pedicle technique, which allows her to preserve blood supply to the nipple but also preserve excess tissue along the bottom of the breast. Dr. Bovill’s technique then allows her to rearrange the glandular tissue, using the patient’s own tissue to boost projection and affording a more comprehensive and longer-lasting shape enhancement than removing skin alone.
Ultimately, the best technique for your breast procedure will depend on your unique case. In your initial consultation, Dr. Bovill can assess your situation and determine the approach that can yield the best possible results.
3. What Is Breast Lift Recovery Like?
Following breast lift surgery, patients typically require approximately two weeks of downtime, although more strenuous activities (such as going to the gym) may need to be avoided for five or six weeks. Mild soreness is typical during recovery, but any discomfort can usually be managed with medication. Swelling and/or bruising is also part of the healing process as well, but these symptoms should resolve within a few weeks with the final volume apparent at around six weeks (new bra shopping!). Over time, scars should fade and become less apparent. Dr. Bovill understands patient concerns around breast reduction and lift scarring and works closely with her patients to ensure optimal healing and timely scar management.
General Recovery Points:
- Your dressings are splashproof but not immersible. You may shower the day following your surgery.
- The dressings are to be left intact until your first review appointment. At this point, Dr. Bovill will help and instruct you with regards to your specific dressings and /or scar management.
- The surgical bra fitted and provided by Dr. Bovill is to be worn day and night for 6 weeks.
- Sleep with 3 pillows for the first week or so. This is to assist back sleeping and reduce breast movement during sleep.
- Dr. Bovill will provide a personal prescription for pain medications. Intermittent ice or cool packs to the breasts may also be used. Please take care to use a thin tea towel or sheet between the ice pack and the skin.
- Activities such as walking and going out for coffee are encouraged! No lifting (more than 10lbs) or any ‘bouncy’ activity please for 6 weeks.
Each patient’s recovery is unique, so it is important to carefully follow the personalized aftercare instructions provided by Dr. Bovill, ensuring proper healing during recovery. Postoperative follow-up appointments can also help Dr. Bovill monitor your progress and identify any potential complications, should they arise. Additionally, she can provide you with more specific guidelines as you gradually return to your daily activities.
4. Frequently Asked Questions About Breast Lifts
Here are some answers to frequently asked questions about breast lift surgery.
Does a breast lift procedure result in a scar?
Breast lift surgery cannot be done without creating some scarring on the breast. They are strategically placed to hide them as best as possible and they will continue to fade over the first year after the surgery.
How long does a breast lift typically last?
The average woman can expect her breast lift results to last for 10 to 20 years. However, due to the number of factors that affect the longevity of the results, individual results will vary significantly. Sometimes minor revisions may be necessary at follow-up appointments.
How long does the breast lift procedure take?
Typically, the procedure typically takes 2 to 3 hours. You can go home on the same day.
Will a breast lift change the size of my breasts?
A breast lift won't change the size of your breasts. However, a breast lift can be combined with breast augmentation or breast reduction to get result you are looking for.
What are the benefits of a breast lift (mastroplexy) procedure?
A breast lift procedure can improve breast shape, symmetry, firmness and body confidence.
Dr. Bovill is a board certified plastic surgeon and she has been performing breast lift surgery for over a decade. To get your questions answered, book a private consultation with her at her Vancouver clinic.